Saguaro National Park - West. Copyright © A. Dombrowski. Image used under Creative Commons 2.0 License.

Saguaro National Park is divided into two sections, called districts, lying about 20 miles east and 15 miles west of Tucson, Arizona.  The total area is 91,440 acres, of which 70,905 acres is designated wilderness.  Both districts conserve fine tracts of the Sonoran Desert, including ranges of significant hills, the Tucson Mountains in the west and the Rincon Mountains in the east.  The park gets its name from the saguaro, a large cactus which is native to the region.  Many other kinds of cactus, including barrel, cholla, and prickly pear, are abundant in the park.  One endangered animal, the Lesser Long-nosed Bat, lives in the park part of the year during its migration, together with one threatened species, the Mexican Spotted Owl.  The park was proclaimed as Saguaro National Monument on March 1, 1933 by President Herbert Hoover, and redesignated a national park on October 14, 1994.  (Source: Wikipedia, Image: A. Dombrowski)

>> Next Stop #8: Tonto Natural Bridge >>

Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks

Tags: